Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is the story of my adventures in the outdoors of Arkansas; from the bland to the grand and everything in between.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Where does your passion lie?

Last night I was reading the Time magazine article on the persons of the year. It was really inspiring how these three people who could easily afford a life of ease has teamed up to fight against poverty. They not only give money (the largest charitable donation in the history of mankind) but also their time. The do not donate money to construct buildings with their name on it like so many rich people do but they give money so that the poor can have food and medicine. They do this because it is important to them. This got me to think and ask myself what is important to me.

The most important thing to me is a no-brainer. It is of course my son. I have a most wonderful son. He is beautiful and intelligent and kind and courteous. He has a one on one relationship with God that is just amazing. I am 33 and never have had that kind of relationship with God.

The second important thing to me I suppose would be knowledge. I read constantly and find so much in life fascinating. I love to read stories of new discoveries in science or new findings of our past.

Third thing is bikes. I love bikes. Bikes to me are one part romantic, one part nostalgic, one part exercise and one part environmentally friendly. I would LOVE to be able to one day open my own bicycle store. It woudl be in the most eclectic and beautiful city in the U.S. The only city that has it entire downtown on the national historic register, the city that is second to only Las Vegas with the most wedding chapels per square mile; Eureka Springs.

Forth thing….well um I don’t have one. I am not passionate about anything else that I can think of. Does this make me shallow that I am not passionate about more things? What about the fact that I am not passionate about world hunger or poverty? Of course I want all of this to end but I do not do anything on a daily basis to fight it. We have so many problems facing us today; use of natural resources, poverty, obesity, environment, global warming, genocide. There are so many causes to fight for and I do not stand up and fight for any of them. I do what I can on a private basis but I am not part of an advocacy for any of them.

So I ask you; what is important to you/what are you passionate about?