Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is the story of my adventures in the outdoors of Arkansas; from the bland to the grand and everything in between.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Intense Week Ahead

Yesterday began an intense training week on the bike. Yesterday was supposed to be just a semi tough ride. I was not supposed to be completely exhausted when returning home. I did not even run this morning due to the ride yesterday. The ride started out normally enough. It was such a nice afternoon so I after returning home from a difficult day at work (ha) I change and get the bike out and take off. I left the house and crossed Kavanugh and go down through Alsop Park, across Cantrell to Riverfront drive. On Riverfront I ride a pretty good pace, but not full steam, all the way to the I-430 bridge. There I turn around and head back. On the way back I team up with 3 road bikers. Road bike are faster then the mtn bike I was riding due to the weight of the bike, seating position being more aerodynamic, and the size of the tires. I purposely not draft off of them just to make it more difficult and see if I could keep up. The two ladies in the front were working well together. They would swap out leaders every couple of miles. I was able to keep up until Riverfront where they started pulling away. I was very pleased with the pace I was able to keep. The third rider went straight on Riverfront when the two ladies turned going to Cantrell. I caught back up to them due to the railroad bridge and the red light at Cantrell. We were all going back up to Hillcrest and cut back through Alsop Park and up the killer hill. What was interesting one of the ladies recognized me from last summer’s Children’s Triathlon. Branson competed in that event and it was his first event to take part in. We talked about how wonderful the event is and about the upcoming one in August. When I got back to the house I was so exhausted I just stood there. I stood in one place probably ten minutes because I was too tired and tight to move.

I had a busy night after that also. After cleaning up I did every piece of dirty laundry I had including the sheets. Hopefully tonight I will get my desk organized and pack up the clothes that I have not worn in over a year to give to charity. The night ended nicely also. Michelle came over and we ate pizza and talked. It was a perfect ending to a good day.